Monday, 3 January 2011
What will 2011 bring?
Happy New Year to you all!!!
Today I'm catching my breath after a houseful all Christmas and New Year. I know they're easy to break, but I do find making resolutions at the beginning of each year a useful thing to do. Perhaps less a resolution as a target or goal for the year. I was pleased to say farewell to 2010, more because it was the year I lost Mum than it being a particularly bad year in its entirety. In terms of my progress with photography in 2010:
- February, pass my APEL for three level one courses
- Officially start Social Documentary March, actually start in May
- Finish assignment one in July
- Finish assignment three in September
- Start Street Photography Now in September
- Purchase large format camera in October
- Attend one day large format camera workshop in November
- Father Christmas brings a rather sexy Apple Mac 27"
Okay but I am fairly disillusioned with my progress. These bullet points conceal the hours of reading, researching, pouring over blogs and websites, none of which is culminating in 'better' photos IMO! It also doesn't show the internal struggles to do well and the relatively short-lived satisfaction from each image I make. Photography and the study thereof provides me with an extremely satisfying occupation. But, and it is quite a big but, it does bring with it equally large measures of frustration and disappointment. I feel my skills have broadened but not increased. I know it is of my own making. I have higher aspirations than I currently have skill or aptitude and there is a large arguably growing gap between the two. The steps I chose to take in 2010 firstly with the course selection and also in purchasing a large format camera mean I feel I am starting from scratch. I have also begun to forget what it is I hoped to derive from the course.
I have decided I am 'trying too hard' (which is never a good look!). So for that reason I am going to try to alter my approach a little, perhaps pursue another creative outlet too, take the pressure off myself a little.
So my photography targets/goals or resolutions for 2011 are as follows:
- complete the social documentary course by July and go for assessment in November
- continue with the street photography now project until September
- fully get to grips with the large format camera by July
- source an old medium format camera
- familiarise myself with mac, photoshop and printing
- start another level two or possibly level three course in September
- have a clearer sense of direction as to what type of photography I want to pursue by December
So let's see what is ahead!!