Thursday 1 October 2009

PROJECT 7: Positioning in the wind

For this project I chose wind turbines as the subject: very plain and big, as requested.  The purpose was to create a series of photographs in which you place the subject in different positions in the frame from central, left and right, and towards the edge.  Then rank the images in order of preference and identify why some worked and others didn't. I headed towards the wind turbines at Windscales, near Workington on a sunny evening.  I took my wide angle lens and tripod, and started snapping.  The lens choice meant I did have a little photoshopping to do after due to the distortion of the lens barrel. Turbines are vertical and my lens was sending them off in all sorts of crooked directions, so they are hopefully back to being straight apart from the odd one where it was a little more artistic! The other slight complication, when placing the turbine to the edge of the frame was that the blades were moving and stayed in the frame momentarily before they flew out of frame again!!

Image No. 1
Focal length:  16mm
Iso:                   100
Shutter speed: 1/50
Aperture value: f22
11-16mm wide angle lens

This became my unexpected favourite out of the shots I took. I was attempting to place the turbines in various places within the frame from left to right but also high and low. I thought when I took this photo that it would be a 'duff' as it didn't include the subject in its entirety and left an ugly long shadow.  However, when I looked at this after processing I was really drawn to it.  Initially I guess because it was different in perspective and colour to the others I took. But then I liked the overpowering shadow it created, the sunlight behind the subject and the momentary mystery of what the subject is, the clues of the blade flowing close by and the smaller turbines in the distance. Compositionally I felt this was strong too with the horizon lying on one of the thirds and placement of the main turbine on an intersection.  In addition, the shadow falls largely within the lowest third and works as a strong lead-in line to the subject.

You know, often my 'duffs' turn out to be my favourites LOL - what does that say about my photographic skills!!!???


Image No. 2
Focal Length: 16mm
Iso:                   100
Shutter speed:  1/50
Aperture value:   f22
11-16mm wide angle lens

This image again maybe a favourite because compositionally it was more interesting than the others. I like where the turbine sits in the frame, the light behind the subject, the slight movement in the blade and the other turbines sitting along the horizon like aliens looking ready to attack.  The dark trees at the bottom of the picture, for me, provide sufficient 'sense of place' without distracting from the picture. I suspect with the horizon nearly falling off the bottom of the image it was perhaps not abiding by the rule of thirds or golden section but it works for me. The other similar shot where there is more 'land' doesn't have the same impact IMHO (image no. 7).


Photo No. 3
Focal length:  13mm
Iso:                   100
Shutter speed: 1/50
Aperture value:  f11



Image No. 4
Focal Length: 16mm
Iso:                   100
Shutter speed:  1/50
Aperture value:   f22

Images 3 and 4 were taken by framing the subject against the sky and sun, with no horizon whatsoever.  It was one turbine silhouetted against a blue sky.  Compositionally they apply the rule of thirds and golden section and there is slight movement visible at the tips of the blades. Image 3 has a slightly jaunty angle to the turbine.  I like the minimalist and more artistic feel to these images and how by including less it somehow speaks more - the peace of the turbine in its environment, whilst the setting sun gives the image life. However, the sense of scale is lost with both these images. I also think a slightly slower shutter speed would given the turbine more dynamism - I either needed to stay later (but would have lost the sun's vibrance) or use an nd filter.




Image No. 5
Focal length:  16mm
Iso:                   100
Shutter speed:  1/60
Aperture value:   f22

This particular image in which the turbine occupies the centre third is for this reason alone technically 'static' and compositionally weak. But I would argue that with the sun placed in the lower left third it does give interest to the composition and aesthetics of the image.  I have cropped this to a 5x5 dimension below which I feel strengthens the image.  The triangle (which I know little about at this stage) is also present which links the sun and turbine together.

The following two images (6 and 7) are my least favourite. Although they are compositionally fairly strong, I find them a little conventional, image 6 in particular is weak with the blade touching the frame.  Image 7 is stronger with a slightly more interesting background with the silhouetted turbines.

Image No. 6
Focal length:   16mm
Iso:                    100
Shutter speed:  1/50
Aperture value:   f22

Image No. 7
Focal length:  16mm
Iso:                   100
Shutter speed:  1/50
Aperture value:   f22

No comments:

Post a Comment